How to Get Involved with Local Shelters
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) recommends these top ways of helping your community’s animals:
- Volunteer at your local animal rescue organization or shelter—you can walk dogs, perform secretarial tasks, provide companionship, and so much more.
- Learn how to recognize and report animal cruelty.
- Host a drive to gather pet supplies and food for your local shelter—there’s always a need!
- Help others learn about how important spaying and neutering is to help reduce the population of unwanted animals.
- Raise money for shelters and advocate for your animal friends.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) promotes the many benefits that can be gained from volunteering, such as:
- Being part of the solution
- Getting warm fuzzies
- Keeping good company as you make friends with new animals and people
- Learning more about yourself and your capabilities
- Gaining skills and meeting people that could lead to a new career
- Enjoying the company of your new animal friends
Look online or in your local paper to find shelters near you and go ahead, make that call to get involved today! Everybody wins—you, some great animals, and your community!