What Food Is Right for My Dog?
There are a lot of different options when it comes to feeding your dog—which is the right one for you and your new furry friend? You want your pup to live a long, active, healthy life, and diet plays a big role! Generally, table scraps are not a good option, as they often contain too much fat, salt, and other items that are just not good for your pet’s digestive system and overall health.
Since there’s a lot of debate over what makes the best dog food, when you’re deciding what type of food your dog will eat, consider the following:
- Are you going to buy commercial food or make your own?
- Do you prefer dry or wet food, or a combination?
- Does your dog have any special needs—is
- she a puppy, older, or overweight? Does she have a condition such as arthritis?
- Amounts and sources of protein, fats, and carbohydrates
- Fillers that have been added to the food (if any)
- Any allergies that should be considered when choosing food
Never feed your dog any of the following:
- Onions or garlic
- Moldy food
- Grapes and raisins
And remember, your dog should always have good access to a bowl of fresh, clean water.